Tuesday, January 22, 2013

A Curious Case of Oddity

Gallery Nucleus has been so kind to me and they invited me to participate in a show for the launch of Mike Yamada and Victoria Ying's book called "Curiosities: An Illustrated History of Ancestral Oddity". It is a great book with amazing art and a great story. The show itself was called Curiosities and the idea behind it was that each artist just inherited an old mansion and in that mansion what kind of odd/scary objects did we find there? I immediately thought of a wedding portrait but I wanted it to have a subtle Day of the Dead feel as well as a impending feeling of doom. A marriage not meant to last if you will. So me being me, I chose the short lived coexistence of the male and female mantis. Odd enough for you? I love this piece and hope that someday someone wants to purchase it. "Till Death..."