Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Eric in Wonderland

My good friend and amazing artist Joey Chou was asked to curate a show for Leann Lin's Wonderland and was kind enough to ask me to be part of it. The theme was Bed Time Stories and not to be a Debbie downer but I grew up in a rather large family (4 brothers & 3 sisters) and there was not much time for the nightly telling of stories. Because the run of the mill bed time tales didn't really resonate with me, I decided to create my own piece telling my own story. I immediately thought of the phrase "Don't Let the Bed Bugs Bite". Bed bugs not being particularly attractive or necessarily desirable, I imagined a rhinoceros beetle instead. The image of a mischievous boy basking in the delight of teasing his teddy bear slowly came to life in my head and the phrase took on a new meaning. An old saying became a new bed time story well for me at least.